Italian Wedding Soup & Nonna’s Meatballs
Mark's deconstructed take on a classic Mahoning Valley favorite!
- Total Time1 hr 30 min
- Yield4-6 Bowls
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ Cup Seasoned Breadcrumbs
- ¼ Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Cloves Minced Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Flat Leave Parsley
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 5 To 6 Turns Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Chili Flakes
- 1 Large Sweet Onion, ¼ Dice
- 2 Large Carrots, Peeled, ¼ Dice
- 8 Ribs Celery, Trimmed, ¼ Sliced
- 2 Heads Escarole, Cored, Trimmed, Washed, And Chopped Into 1 Inch Pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Quarts Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 4 Sprigs Thyme
- 2 Sprigs Rosemary
- 2 Fresh Bay Leaves
- 1 Tablespoon + 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 6 To 8 Grinds Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 8 Ounces Whole Wheat Orecchiette, Cooked Al Dente
- ½ Cup Grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Make the Meatballs: In a large bowl add the ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, milk, garlic, parsley, Parmigiano, salt, pepper and chili flakes, mix well to combine. Form the mixture into ½ ounce meatballs and arrange on a nonstick baking tray. Place the meatballs into the preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit. oven, bake until the meatballs are browned and crispy, about, 18 to 20 minutes, remove from the oven and place onto a paper towel lined place to cool, and set aside.
Prepare the Escarole: In a large sauce pot over high heat, add 1 gallon of water and 1 tablespoon of salt, bring to a boil, about 10 to 12 minutes. In batches add the escarole greens and cook until bright green and al dente, about 5 to 6 minutes, remove from the water into a colander in the sink to drain, and set aside.
Assemble Wedding Soup
Make the Italian Wedding Soup: In a large sauce pot over medium-high, add the olive oil, onion, carrot, celery and remaining salt, saute until the onions are translucent, about 8 to 9 minutes. With butcher twine, tie the thyme and rosemary together. Add the chicken broth, herbs, and bay leave, bring to a boil, about 10 to 12 minutes and turn down to a simmer. Add the meatball, and escarole greens, simmer the soup until the greens are tender, about 35 to 40 minutes, remove from the heat, remove the bay leaves and herbs. Season with black pepper and set aside.
Serve the Italian Wedding Soup: Place a large serving spoon of orecchiette into soup bowls, ladle the Wedding soup over the pasta, garnish with Parmigiano and serve.